Tom Monroe

Nicholas Monroe, Writer

Tom Monroe served as the varsity baseball coach at Waverly High School for 26 seasons. For over 30 years, he coached every varsity sport Waverly had to offer. Tom also taught social sciences during those years coaching.

Tom graduated from Grove City High School in 1968 and attended West Liberty State College before receiving his graduate degree from Xavier University in 1980. During this time, he was a four-year letterman in college baseball.

During his time coaching baseball, he amassed over 386 wins, three league championships, seven sectional championships, and built a program which produced six All-State players. One of the six All-State players took up the role of coach from Tom. This player’s name was Jeff Noble. Tom stated that, “I’m proud that Jeff followed me as baseball coach at Waverly. One of us has been at the helm of Waverly baseball for 49 of the last 50 years.”

Tom also served as the President and Vice President of the Southeast District Baseball Coach’s Association. Tom was selected to the District Hall of Fame and was also selected as Coach of the Year on many occasions. Eventually, in 2016, Monroe was elected into the Waverly Hall of Fame.

Although Tom is often remembered for his baseball coaching career, he also coached golf for more than 20 seasons. In those twenty seasons, Monroe’s teams would reach 4th and 6th place in the state championship in 1994 and 1995 respectively. Tom was also named coach of the year six time during his time coaching golf.

Tom is happily married in Waverly to his wife of 47 years, Sandy. They have two sons, Jeff Davis and Jason Monroe and five grandchildren with me being one of them.