Homecoming Week 2022

Carly Dixon, Writer

The week of 9/5/22 was Waverly City Schools’ annual weeklong celebration before the Homecoming football game on Friday and Homecoming dance on Saturday. Students (and staff) would have the opportunity to either observe or participate in parades, float building, dress-up days, or Clash of Classes.

In the parade, anyone involved in the Homecoming Court, fall sports, marching band, and the building of the floats walked the normal parade route through Waverly, from the high school to the downtown gym. The homecoming court consisted of Freshman Attendant Mallory Roberts, Sophomore Attendant Hadlee Cisco, Junior Attendant Kaitlyn Miller, and Queen Candidates Kaelynn Linn, Emma Hobbs, and Morgan Crabtree. At the Waverly-Chillicothe game Friday, 9/9/22, Morgan Crabtree was crowned Homecoming Queen.

This year also saw a change in the float building duties and processes. In a typical year, each grade in the high school competes to create the best float. This year, however, each school created a float to compete with the other buildings. The overall theme for Homecoming was Hollywood, and the floats were decorated as such, with some flair of tiger spirit thrown in each.

Dress-up days during Homecoming Week 2022 included Tacky Tourist Tuesday, Iconic Group or Duo Wednesday, Class Color Day on Thursday, and Crazy Tiger Spirit Day. Each day, the different graduating classes of the high school competed with each other to earn points towards winning Clash of Classes. On Wednesday, after school at 7:30 PM at the downtown gym, students were given another opportunity to earn points through a Powderpuff flag football game. Many games were played, all in a tournament style showdown, with Seniors taking first place.

However, the climax event of Clash of Classes happened on Thursday, in the high school gymnasium. Students volunteered to participate in a multitude of games to earn points for their class. On Friday, points were tallied up. Seniors took first place with 124 points, Juniors second with 101 points, Sophomores next with 90 points, and Freshmen in fourth with 85 points. Congratulations to all competitors and thanks to all participants.